Friday, November 23, 2012

Crazy for The Crock Pot!

My crock pot is one of my favourite kitchen tools, especially since some nights I work until 9:30pm and sometimes I'm not home in time to make a nice meal. Throwing a whole bunch of stuff in a crock pot and letting my I-don't-know-how-to-boil-water fiance decide if he wants it on salad or rice is (generally) pretty straightforward and easy!
If you've read my last post, you know that I was doing some experimenting in the kitchen. We have a whole bunch of minced pork lying around and I really needed to (again) come up with something simple, creative and... well, edible!
So, behold my Honey Garlic Crock Pot Pork!

Image copyrighted to me
Kath's Easy Honey Garlic Crock Pot Pork
500 g lean ground pork
1/2 cup gluten free ketchup
1/4 cup Kikkoman Gluten Free Soy Sauce
1/4 cup honey
1/8 cup gluten free maple syrup
3 tbsp. minced garlic
1 tbsp. sesame oil
1 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder
2 tsp. cornstarch

1/2 red onion, diced
2 tsp. Becel Vegan Margarine

Pull pork apart and place into crock pot. Stir in all ingredients except for onion and margarine. Ensure that ingredients have been mixed thoroughly and that the pork is coated. Turn crock pot on Low and let cook for 6- 8 hours.

Before you leave for the day, you may choose to caramelize the onions. If you do not want to, or you don't have time, just throw the onions into the crock pot. I strongly suggest caramelizing them as they add a lot to the dish.
To caramelize onions: melt margarine in small frying pan on medium heat. Add chopped onion and stir consistently until browned and sweet smelling. Add onions to top of pork mixture in crock pot; do not stir.

When you arrive home, ensure pork has cooked through, and serve mixture over salad, as a salad wrap, on rice, noodles, etc.

Enjoy!
©FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary


No comments:

Post a Comment