Monday, December 10, 2012

Tacos Tacos Tacos!

What? Tacos? On a gluten and dairy free diet? 
You got it!
Let's face it, people with allergies like me have given up eating many things for our health. Not that I'm complaining about my health improving, but I openly drooled over a plate of mussels that my mother ordered. It was a tragic day.
Anyways, the other night Tom and I had spent two hours at the gym and, when we got home, we were hungry! So, I thought I would whip up some turkey and we could have tacos! Hard tacos, mind you, but I've found that the gluten and dairy free soft tortillas fall apart sooner than a celebrity marriage.
So, here's my recipe for delicious turkey tacos (and lunch the next day).
The recipe is similar to my Mexi-Thai Minced Pork recipe. Click the link for refresh your memory!

(Recipe is making for two)
Image (C)FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary
Kath's Total Turkey Tacos
500 g extra lean, minced turkey
Becel Vegan margarine
2 (or more) Old El Paso hard corn taco shells
1 tsp olive oil
1 tbsp. chili powder
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. onion powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 cup ketchup
1 tsp. minced garlic cloves
handful of Daiya peppercorn Jack-style "cheese"
salsa
lettuce
chopped bell peppers
caramelized onions
your choice of toppings

In large frying pan, melt margarine and oil together over medium heat. Add turkey and pull apart with forks. Stir occasionally.
Once turkey is lightly browned, sprinkle chili powder on top and stir. Add more margarine - about 2 tsp. Let turkey cook, stirring occasionally, for about five minutes then add garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Let cook for about 10 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
This would be the time to start caramelizing your onions.
After 10 minutes, turkey should be a deep brown colour -reminiscent of beef taco meat. Add ketchup and garlic cloves and stir. Let cook, again stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes more.
Add turkey mixture to shells, along with your caramelized onions or any other topping you have chosen and enjoy!
(C)FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary

No comments:

Post a Comment