Thursday, July 19, 2012

The Great Dairy-Free Journey Begins

Well, folks, I'm back after a long hiatus of non-blogging. To be honest, I've been so busy that I've hardly had time to sit down and do anything... unfortunately :(
I've seen my doctor a few times in the last couple of weeks, and he has recommended that I follow a dairy-free diet as he seems to think that my lactose - intolerance is not merely an intolerance, but an allergy. (Cue violins!) Unfortunately for me and my French Onion Soup-loving existence!
However, there are ways around this. Namely, non-dairy cheese - yes, that does sound odd, but they do make blocks of non-dairy, vegetable-based "cheese". I have also learned how to make almond butter - my handy new food processor has quickly become a cooking staple!
Subsequently, I have also began to eat vegan as there is no dairy used in vegan cooking. Tom's sister is vegan, so she is very supportive of it, but I do love meat still! However, my doctor has also recommended I eat red meat only twice a week as I cannot seem to digest that either (yes, I know - you really wanted to know that!), so tofu, turkey and chicken have also become staples in our house. Bonus is, they're cheaper than buying red meat frequently.

So, how has it been going (I'm assuming you ask)? Pretty good! I've gone dairy-free (as much as I can) for almost a week now, and I've been feeling great! I have a ton of energy and my skin has started to clear up. I've also lost 2 pounds this week and my body has started a very healthy, natural cleanse. All in all, I think this has been a good decision.
I've also been eating a ton of sushi - straying away, of course, from Alaskan rolls with cream cheese - and I no longer feel tired after lunch! Though rice is a carbohydrate, I still feel filled and it lasts until I start to feel the afternoon munchies around three in the afternoon.
Anyways, I will keep my blog updated with dairy-free recipes I come across/ create, and will keep updated on how everything goes - including my saga with weight loss.... keep me in your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment