Monday, February 11, 2013

Warm Your Palette!

Here in Calgary, we've been pretty lucky when it's come to the weather lately. It's been nice and warm and I do feel bad for the people on the East Coast who I know have been bombarded with snow... but we've been there, too, so you are not alone.
I remember when I was 12 years old, we got hit with a snowstorm that snowed in my neighbours so badly that they had to tunnel their way from their front door. School was cancelled that day (the one day ever that they cancelled it- I've lived in Calgary my entire life and have only had one snow day!) so my neighbours thought it might to cool to create a slide/ tunnel system in their front yard for the neighbourhood kids. My sister and I had so much fun that day!
Anyways, I've posted a new recipe for lentil soup below. I got my inspiration here.
I used leftover turkey meat from my Turkey Tacos, made the night before. Get my Turkey Taco recipe here.

Kath's Warming Lentil Soup
5 cups gluten free, low sodium beef broth
1/4 cup quinoa
1 cup red lentils
leftover meat from tacos (optional)
3 tbsp bacon bits
1/2 of a red onion, chopped
1 carrot, finely chopped
1 can of corn
1 can red kidney beans
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp madras curry powder
2 tsp Becel Vegan Margarine
salt and pepper, to taste

In large oven top pot, bring broth, quinoa and lentils to boil. Turn heat down to simmer and let sit for 20 minutes. 
Meanwhile, melt margarine in medium-sized stove top pan. Add onion and stir until caramelized. Add additional vegetables and sprinkle curry on top. Stir and saute until soft. Set aside.
Once your timer rings for the broth mixture, add vegetables and stir thoroughly.  Add salt and pepper, turkey meat and bacon bits, and stir again.
Cover and let simmer for an additional 20-30 minutes. 
When timer rings, serve with a sprig of parsley or parsley flakes on top.

Enjoy!
(C)FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary

No comments:

Post a Comment