Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Kick Your Sandwich Into High Gear

I looooove a good duck pate. I just do. I know, it's a liver spread, but wow is it ever good! I blame my Grade 7-9 French teacher for this... 
But keeping pate and making pate are hurdles that I don't think that I'm really qualified to jump over just yet, so I have to make do with what my imagination and skills provide.
So, I present my take on the pate spread to light a fire under your boring sandwich's butt!

(FYI: This does not include any actual liver; but it will spread and look like a pate)
Also, you'll need a crockpot for this one.

Turkey & Avocado "Pate" with Sauteed Red Peppers and Caramelized Onions

500 mg lean, fat-free ground turkey
lightly toasted pieces of gluten & dairy-free bread
1/2 bottle of light, sodium and fat-free gluten/dairy free Italian salad dressing
1 tbsp pepper

In crockpot, combine turkey, Italian dressing and pepper thoroughly. Turn crockpot to low and leave for 7 - 8 hours (do this first thing in the morning). When time is up, turn crockpot heat to high and leave for 1 more hour.
Turkey should be a deep brown colour and finely minced.

While waiting for turkey, make avocado mixture and veggies:

2 avocados, pitted
2 tbsp lite mayo
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp lemon juice
1 tbsp pepper

1/2 or large onion, chopped
1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
1 tbsp Becel vegan margarine

Mash avocados in medium-sized bowl along with mayo, garlic powder, lemon juice, and pepper (I like to leave chunks of avocado). Cover and refrigerate.
Melt margarine in medium-sized frying pan. Add onion and pepper, stirring frequently until onion is caramelized.

Once timer rings for turkey, add to avocado mixture and combine thoroughly. Avocado-turkey mixture should take on the consistency of a pate. Spread across toasted piece of bread.

Top with caramelized onion and red pepper and sandwich.

Enjoy!
(c)FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary

No comments:

Post a Comment