Monday, April 15, 2013

A Luxury Once Thought Lost...

I try to consistently remind myself just how good I have it. It's hard sometimes; studying for exams, trying to maintain my diet and lose weight, working on my relationship, complaining about food that I love but can no longer eat... but jeez we have it good! Let's remember this and be thankful that we are fortunate enough to combat allergies, illness, and hunger and let alone know these luxuries!

With that in mind, here is a recipe for a delicious dish that I thought that I would never eat again: a chicken/egg salad sandwich. Now, everyone makes this different, but that's what I love most about them; no two are the same! This is the perfect brown-bag lunch item and I often get as nostalgic eating a chicken or egg salad sandwich as I do eating Sloppy Joe's (that recipe, my friends, to come later this week - stay posted!).

Luxurious Nostalgia: Kath's Chicken and/or Egg Salad Sandwich
(Note: I say and/or as I use egg in the chicken salad- if vegetarian, just omit the chicken)
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 hard-boiled egg whites
2 cups coleslaw mix
1/4 red onion
1/2 red bell pepper
1/4 cup water chestnuts, coarsely chopped (optional - I would add these for crunch)
5 tbsp lite mayonnaise
2 tsp lime juice
dash of Frank's Red Hot sauce
2 tbsp medium salsa
1 1/2 tbsp garlic powder
1 tsp black & white pepper mix
1 tbsp onion powder
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp rosemary 
1 tsp powdered ginger

1 tsp canola oil

Kinnickinnick gluten and dairy free bread, toasted lightly

Heat medium-sized frying pan over medium heat. Add oil and chicken breasts and cook until chicken breasts are cooked through. While chicken is cooking, boil water and hard-boil eggs.
Once chicken is cooked, remove from pan and place on flat surface for shredding. Using two forks, shred chicken breasts and set aside.
Once eggs are hard-boiled, remove yolks and thinly slice egg whites. Set aside.
In large mixing bowl, pour in coleslaw mix. Add vegetables, chicken, and eggs and mix thoroughly. In smaller bowl, combine mayo, lime juice, hot sauce, salsa and spices and mix thoroughly.
Combine mayo mixture with coleslaw mixture and use salad forks to toss generously, until mayo mixture has thoroughly, and evenly, coated all of coleslaw mixture.
Toast bread and spread chicken salad on top. Sandwich between two pieces and eat!
So amazing- enjoy!
(C)FrenchOnionSoupBlogCalgary

No comments:

Post a Comment