Thursday, October 18, 2012

Gluten Free, Dairy Free Chili!

Yum, chili! I love love love chili! My mother makes an absolutely fantastical chili, which is kind of her signature dish (other than her hamburger soup), so I decided that once Tom and I settled into a house of our own, I would invest in a crock pot and create my own signature chili.
Create signature chili - checked off of Bucket List! 
But, seriously, if you haven't bought a crock pot... do it! It's a life-saver for when I'm working and I want something yummy ready to go when I get home. So many delicious dishes, and easy easy easy!
 Anyways, back to my chili... it is my signature dish, but I've made it so that now I can enjoy it without breaking out in hives or having intestinal issues - go allergen free!

So, here's the recipe for Kate's Gluten and Dairy Free, Lean Turkey Chili

 1.5 lbs. lean, ground turkey
1/4 cup gluten-free, organic maple syrup (we found this in the "gluten free" section at Co-op)
(the following is all optional and changeable... remember, Westernized chili can contain a plethora of things!)
1 can (250 mL) of red kidney beans
1/2 cup mild salsa
1/3 cup gluten free ketchup
1 red bell pepper
1 red onion, carmelized
1 can (350 mL) of beans in tomato paste
1 can (250mL) whole corn kernels
1 can (250mL) chick peas
1 can (250mL) black beans
2 tbsp. garlic powder
2 tbsp. onion powder
2 tsp. chili powder
1 tsp. paprika
1/2 tsp. cayenne powder
2 tbsp. lime juice

Cook turkey through, until no longer pink. Add to crock pot.
Carmelize onions in Becel Vegan Margarine (found at most grocery stores). Add to crock.
Add rest of ingredients to crock pot, stir thoroughly.
Place main crock "bowl" in frig, covered, overnight.
Take out in morning, and turn crock pot to "Low" setting. Let cook for 8 -10 hours.

I've found that Thomas enjoys more than one bowl of chili, so I turn my slow cooker to "Warm" for the duration of his first bowl. When he gets the second bowl, I remind him to turn the cooker OFF and, after he's done that bowl, the cooker is cool enough to lift out and place back into the frig for leftovers. Between the two of us, it usually lasts us up to three days... even with the both of us taking the chili for lunch.

Enjoy!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment